When it comes to desserts I always say that you shouldn’t feel guilty about having them. But I find that most people overindulge when they know it’s a “healthy” dessert and then a “healthy” dessert turns into something not so healthy because you’ve eaten too much of it. Take it from someone who knows — portion control is a HUGE challenge when I am baking full batches cookies, granola or muffins.That’s why I created this recipe. It’s the perfect thing if you want something at night but don’t want to overindulge. It’s a single serving Almond Butter Jelly Mug Cake and takes a total of 3 minutes to prepare from start to finish – I promise! After my Chocolate Mug Cake became such a hit I thought, why not make other flavors. That’s when I came up with my own little spin on the classic PB&J – Almond Butter and Jelly (berries).Last spring I went to visit NOW Foods in Chicago. I toured their facilities and got an inside look into how each product is made, you can read more about it here. It was fascinating to see such a large company that is still family owned and is also so diligent at creating affordable organic products. I have recently stocked up on all their products. Their prices are significantly lower than your traditional organic food prices. NOW products have that small town “mom and pop” feel even though they are manufacturing on a large scale.I used NOW’s Vanilla Toffee Pea Protein for this mug cake, along with their almond flour. This is one of my favorite treats at night because protein before bed helps aid recovery. Yes, you read that right – having a protein-rich snack before bed can help your muscles recover while you are sleeping. (Just don’t eat too many of them!) This little treat is so easy to whip up and the ingredients are all standard pantry staples – no need for fancy ingredients. I used frozen berries because they are not in season right now and this way I be sure to stay stocked up on berries without worrying they will go bad. Feel free to use strawberries, raspberries….Whatever berry you like! It’s safe to say I have a major addiction to this cake but hey, there are worse things right?
A dollop of almond butter on top is the finishing touch on this protein-rich dessert. Enjoy it ay time of day – your muscles will thank you!
- 2 1/2 tablespoons NOW vanilla toffee protein powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons NOW almond flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or any nut milk)
- 1 organic egg
- 1/4 cup berries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- In a medium size mug add protein powder and almond flour, mix.
- In a separate bowl mix together the almond milk and egg.
- Mix egg mixture into the mug with the dry mixture then fold in berries (you can leave some aside to top the cake with)
- Microwave for 1 minute then check it and microwave for another 30 seconds if need be. I cooked mine for a total of 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- While the cake is still warm top with additional berries and almond butter.