Oatmeal, I can pretty much have it for breakfast every day without getting sick of it. In the winter I throw in apples and cinnamon and in the summer I use all the fresh berries. On occasion I will have a savory oatmeal breakfast. Lately I have been enjoying avocado toast with an egg and I even find myself having that for lunch. That’s when I thought, what if I combined my love for oatmeal with my love for avocado toast….a savory twist on everyone’s favorite hot cereal. For an added punch of protein I used Natural Citizen protein powder and, fear not, this is unsweetened and flavorless. So you can pretty much add it to anything (including savory dishes) for some extra protein. They were even kind enough to share a discount code for an additional 15% off use the code RUNONVEG.Everything is better with an egg on it, right? Topped with a fried egg, sautéed greens, mushrooms and avocado, this hearty breakfast will keep you full and energized. Feel free to change up the grain and use brown rice, quinoa or whatever you have on hand/enjoy most. Oatmeal is a go-to for me so its a fun variation.This recipe is a nice balance of protein, carbohydrate and fat that won’t sit heavy in your stomach. A friend and I enjoyed this 40 minutes before a big swim practice. We were a little nervous we would be burping this up but to our surprise we felt amazing. Light and filling, this is so easy to whip up. Whether you’re having this pre or post workout it will keep you satisfied and full.Recipe:
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup greens (spinach, kale…)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 bunch chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons brag amino acid or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Natural Citizen Organic Protein
- salt to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- Fill a medium size pot with 2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling add 1 cup of oats.
- Let the oatmeal cook for 10 minutes or so over medium heat. Meanwhile prepare vegetables
- Spray a medium size frying pan with non-stick spray. Place garlic and mushrooms in the pan and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring every few minutes. Once the mushrooms are cooked add spinach and liquid aminos and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Once everything is cooked stir in protein powder and prepare the eggs. You can cook it sunny side up, soft boiled etc….
- To prepare the bowl, evenly distribute the oatmeal into two bowls, then do the same with the spinach and mushroom and place on top of the oatmeal bowl. Add sliced avocado, chopped scallions and fried egg, top with hot sauce and enjoy right away.