I love getting away to Jersey for the summer. Everywhere you turn you see triathletes on their bikes, runners trekking down Ocean Avenue and, of course, the sun is basically always shining. But I was not looking forward to missing my daily burn on the Megaformer, which has helped me come back from multiple injuries and made me a much stronger athlete all around. My friends in Jersey kept telling me about “Pilates Blast,” saying that I had to try it while I was in New Jersey for the summer, plus its just a quick 10 minute drive from my home. I HATE trying new things but I finally jumped the gun and took my first class. My mouth literally dropped when I walked into the studio; I could not believe what I was seeing was actually real. They have three separate rooms which offer three different Pilates inspired classes. The first room is a typical Pilates room with the standard Pilates machine. The next room was the “Cardio” room but this was not your typical cardio. It had jump boards, TRX, wunda chair…all things for getting your heart rate up in a controlled matter. And lastly there was the Megaformer room, offering a high-intensity low-impact strengthening workout that will leave you dripping in sweat.
I had no idea a studio like this existed. It was like Pilates on steroids! It offered everything I ever wanted in a workout – three different and unique workouts to strengthen and condition the body. I had to learn more about the mastermind behind this studio – Dani Rubin After taking her class I was even more impressed. She really teaches you how to engage all the proper muscles by focusing hard on what you are doing. She makes sure your form is on point and you are engaging all the right muscles. With only 6 people in a class you can be sure you will be doing every exercise perfectly and getting a killer workout! I am totally hooked on “Pilates Blast” and excited to feature Dani on my blog today. It is so inspirational to see how this busy studio owner, Mom and amazing athlete does it all!
Dani only recently introduced Pilates Blast, the Megaformer™/ Lagree Fitness™ method, to Monmouth County. Before moving to New Jersey, Dani was based in NYC for 10 years where she had the opportunity to bring the benefits of Pilates to hundreds of students with injuries, chronic issues and various fitness levels. She discovered the profound effects of Pilates after suffering a near career-ending back injury while dancing with the Radio City Rockettes. Her rehabilitation included daily Pilates classes, which not only eliminated her back pain, but also transformed her body and core unlike any other exercise she had ever experienced. Inspired by these results, Dani knew she found her next passion. After discovering MEGAFORMER in 2011 she felt she had no choice but to bring this incredible new machine to Monmouth County!
A day in a life of Dani Rubin:
Wake up 4:56 just before the Alarm at 5:00am
- 5 minute plank
- Followed by squat jumps on the bosu for timed intervals until my legs feel like they can get off the ground.
- Then hamstring 2 (going up front) on the PILATES wunda chair with mountain climber intervals in between.
- By now I’m dripping in sweat and the heart rate calorie counter says 350 burned and we are only 1/2 way through class.
- Next up jump board on the reformer for 12 minutes of different intervals including side lying jumping for the outer glutes and thighs.
- We end this 45 min workout with our toes in the TRX straps pulling knees, plank to V ups, and mountain climber. After walking it off and rolling my It band I realize I’m starving. I grab a handful of grapes and a scoop of almond butter from the fridge.
And today’s lunch of choice…”Seed to Sprout“! I love the raw pizza and collard wraps!
- Avoid food out of a box, bag or can!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
- Load up on hydrating foods… Lettuce, spinach, watermelon, tomatoes, cucumbers grapefruit to name a few… When I feel bloated I get back on track by sticking with foods that are at least 90% water based to flush my system.
To workout with Dani or take one of the amazing classes she offers check out her studio in Tinton Falls, NJ. http://www.pilatesblast.com/