I teamed up with Direct Eats to bring you this recipe! It’s a simple and easy recipe that anyone can make.We have all seen dozens of versions of the traditional truffle, in the form of quinoa brownie bites, apple cinnamon truffles, raw date balls etc….But I wanted to make my own version – this time with a new twist. I thought – why not make them into a cake pop?! And with a chocolate shell coating.The sweetness in the center of the truffle compliments the rich dark chocolate perfectly. And I love the idea of eating it off a popsicle stick because it makes it fun to eat and lends itself to a great display for company.I used almond butter as the base for this recipe but you can make it your own and use whatever nut butter you love! I served it to my family over the weekend and at first everyone was skeptical because they looked too good to be true. I considered their questioning as to what was in them as a sort of compliment!I purchased everything I needed for this recipe from Direct Eats. They offer health food products in bulk at incredibly low prices. So you can stock up on all your pantry essentials online. While saving time and money! For 15% off your use the code RUNONVEG (expires July 16 2016). Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup dates
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cacao nibs
- Combine everything in a food processor until a dough forms. You may need to stop the machine and mix it a few times.
- Transfer to a bowl and fold in cocoa nibs.
- Form into balls using a tablespoon (around 13 balls) Optional– Transfer onto a tray and place in a freezer or fridge while making chocolate sauce. You can leave it out but the chocolate sauce may not stick to the balls as well.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup coco powder
- In a bowl combine coconut oil and coco powder until smooth.
- Dip the almond butter balls into the chocolate sauce, evenly coating each one.
- Place a stick in the center of the truffles. Optional drizzle of almond butter or top with coconut, cacao nibs, almonds, etc….