Most runners turn to pasta pre-race, its loaded with carbs and its somewhat of a comfort food. But what most people don’t realize is that its loaded with simple carbs that will spike your blood sugar and leave you feeling heavy and lethargic. I am so excited to have found black bean pasta. Its literally just made out of black beans and offers 25 grams of protein per serving making it not only a great pre-race meal but a post run meal as well. I made this dish with fall in mind using seasonal ingredients such as butternut squash and tossed in a spicy almond butter thai sauce!It also makes for the perfect lunch the next day, eat warm or cold and easy to travel with. You can try this recipe with your favorite kind of pasta but if you are up to trying something different try this bean pasta for added protein! Some of my other favorite pastas include, brown rice, whole wheat, quinoa….There are endless options when it comes to pasta just be sure you are looking at the ingredients and recognize everything that is in it.
Video: Matt Powers
Black Bean Pasta with Roasted Butternut Squash in an almond butter thai sauce
- 1 package Explore Cuisine black bean pasta
- 1 small butternut squash or 5 cups, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped kale
Almond Butter Thai Sauce:
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/8 cup tamari
- 1/8 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place prepared squash on a baking sheet. Spray with non-stick spray and season with 1 teaspoon of salt. Toss to coat. Roast for 50-60 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and starting to brown.
- While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the sauce. In a medium size bowl combine almond butter, water, tamari, apple cider vinegar, sriracha, sesame oil, crushed garlic and salt. Mix until you have a smooth creamy sauce.
- Now bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and place in a large bowl. Add your almond butter sauce and mix well coating the pasta. Then add chopped kale and roasted squash. The kale will steam and soften when tossed with the pasta and squash. Garnish with almonds and scallions.