If you’re like most, you grab something sweet after dinner. Chocolate? The problem is that our bodies are recovering as we sleep; nighttime is actually prime time to recover. So I always say, why not add some good-for-you ingredients into that pre-bedtime chocolate? Because generally speaking, chocolates are made of plain and simple sugar, milk etc…Seek out some good quality chocolate and try this recipe! It’s sweet, salty and just a little bit crunchy. I picked up the tart dried cherries from Trader Joe’s and they have no added sugar! Cherries are amazing – they are one of the best foods for runners. Filled with antioxidants, tart cherries can reduce muscle inflammation and combat soreness. That’s why I call these little gems of goodness “endurance superfood.” Be sure that when buying dried cherries they are unsweetened. If you can’t find unsweetened cherries try adding another dried fruit. But cherries are definitely my pick! I add some puffed rice cereal, some sea salt for that touch of salt, walnuts – hello omega 3s!, coconut, and slivered almonds.I’ve been on a hunt lately to find some new treats to serve for Bachelorette night, aka the womens equivalent to football, and I think I have found it!
Keep in mind that you can personalize this chocolate bark by adding any of your favorite toppings!
- 9 ounces dark chocolate (I used Lily’s stevia sweetened chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- sprinkle sea salt
- Over a double broiler heat up water. Put the chocolate in the bowl and stir repeatedly. After a couple of minutes add the oil.
- Heat for around 5 minutes until everything is nice and smooth. You will need to take the bowl off the fire and continue to stir.
- Line a tray with parchment. Spread chocolate on the parchment about an inch think.
- Top with remaining ingredients – make sure the chocolate is still hot or else it won’t stick
- Freeze for at least 1-2 hours or over night. Break into pieces and serve
- Keep frozen