Since my banana ice cream was such a popular recipe I decided to make another version! This time I added protein powder, making it a perfect recovery snack. It’s important to be incorporating enough protein into your diet whether or not you have just worked out; your body is constantly in recovery mode – repairing and rebuilding throughout the day. Nowadays you can pretty much find protein powder any and everywhere. But don’t be tricked into thinking something is healthy just based on its outer label. It’s all about what is actually IN it. My younger brother started working out and bought a certain protein powder which we will leave nameless. Some of the first ingredients included maltodextrin, crystalized fructose (aka sugar), canola oil…and a bunch of other junk. I hate to preach but this is necessary! He thought he was eating something that was actually beneficial and would help him build muscle. I asked him to read the ingredients he couldn’t even pronounce the first three. He got the point right away.
Lately I have been excited to try SunWarrior products because the prove to be aligned with everything I believe in. Diary free, no added sugars, non GMO etc. I use the Raw Chocolate blend to compliment the dark cherries in this ice cream. Best combination! The protein had a really smooth taste and packed in 17 grams per serving using ingredients like organic pea protein, hemp protein…. And it even has natural cherry extract! Cherries are a great recovery food as they are known to relieve sore muscles and reduce inflammation in the body. The bananas in the ice cream are loaded with potassium which will help prevent muscle cramps. And the walnuts give it a nice crunch while supplying you with your daily dose of omega 3.
This recipe is also great because you can make it and store it away in the freezer and have a scoop or two whenever you please! But if you are like me and want to eat everything that minute you can also have it on the spot. And more importantly my family approved. My mom pinned it as a cross between Chunky Monkey and Cherry Garcia flavor. I couldn’t agree more…Recipe:
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup pitted frozen or fresh cherries– divided
- 1/4-1/2 cup almond milk or any non-dairy beverage
- 1 serving SunWarrior chocolate protein powder or 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4-1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
Optional add in toppings: crushed almonds, coconut, chocolate chips, unsweetened dried cherries….
- In a high speed blender blend bananas, 1/2 cup pitted cherries, 1/4 cup almond milk, SunWarrior chocolate protein powder and pure vanilla extract. Note: add an additional 1/4 cup almond milk if needed to blend start off with 1/4 cup
- Once blended and smooth remove from the blender fold in additional 1/2 cup pitted cherries and 1/4-1/2 chopped walnuts.
- Serve right away or store in the freezer in a small pyrex covered. Let freeze for at least two hours. Scoop and serve!