I am totally in denial that summer is coming to an end!! This was the first summer in a long time that I was injury free and able to enjoy outdoor workouts. All around it has been an amazing summer during which I met tons of new people, immersed myself in the sport of triathlon and joined a great tri group in New Jersey. Now I just need to find one in New York :). I thought this recipe would be a great way to say good bye to summer, especially since peaches are at their peak right now.The combination of peaches and cream are always great together. So why not enjoy it for breakfast? I especially love this because lately I have been getting up early before the sun is up and it’s pretty chilly out. So something warm in the morning is exactly what I am usually craving.I used steel cut oatmeal because it has more fiber and is slower to digest. This keeps you fuller longer but if you are headed straight to a workout I recommend eating it 20 minutes earlier than you normally would. It takes a little bit longer to cook than traditional oatmeal but can easily be done the night before, which is always a bonus.I use Bai5 Peach flavor which really compliments the fresh peaches used in the recipe. If you add berries it tastes like blueberry peach cobbler. And adding some coconut or nut butter gives it that rich “creamy” texture that peaches and cream have. I call this breakfast stick-to-your-ribs-good. It’s hearty but not too hearty where you feel heavy and gross afterwards. This dish leaves you energized and ready to take on your day.
- 1/4 steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup Bai5 Panama Peach
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 small peach diced
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut or almond butter
- dash cinnamon
- dash vanilla extract
- optional add in: flaxseeds, maca powder, chia seeds, berries, chopped nuts, coconut.
- In a small sauce pan bring bai5 peach and almond milk to a boil.
- Add in 1/4 cup steel cut oatmeal then lower the fire and cover.
- Cook for around 5-7 minutes then stir in peaches and nut butter. Cook for an addional 2 minutes.
- Once ready to eat stir in cinnamon and vanilla extract.