I’v made several versions of these pre-workout muffins in the past. But they all have the same key ingredients. I like to use easily digestible foods to avoid all stomach problems at all cost (if you know what I mean). Each ingredient has a purpose and a reason. These muffins are my all time favorite thing to eat before a hard workout. And I love how they are portable, easy to bring and travel with you on race day! I’ll break it down as to why I chose each ingredient.
- Oats: quick digesting carb it wont sit in your stomach for hours.
- Chia Seeds: If you ever read the book Born to Run you know how important chia seeds are! They ran for hours, fueled by chia seeds. This super seed is loaded with healthy fats to keep your stomach from grumbling, plus they expand in your stomach keeping you hydrated!
- Maca: A superfood known for its amazing ability to help with endurance and stamina. I purchased my maca from Thrive Market for over half off
- Bananas: A great source of potassium to keep your legs from cramping and it is also perfect fuel if you have tummy issues
- Almond Milk: Because I’m not a fan of dairy products and love the nutty flavor of almond milk, oh and hey it has tons of calcium, because healthy bones are everything to me!! (if you have nut allergies i’v made these muffins with orange juice and coconut milk both worked great)
- Apple Sauce: Instead of oil, keeping this muffin really low in fat. Because fat takes energy to digest, so lets not waste energy digesting food! Plus it gives the muffin a slightly sweet taste.
- Blueberries: Yum no explanation needed. Okay I had to– Antioxidants
Preheat over to 350 degrees
- 2 ½ Cups plus 1 Cup Old Fashion Oats
- ½ Cup of Chia Seeds
- ¼ Cup of Maca Powder
- 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 3 Bananas (very ripe if possible, frozen can be used just let thaw)
- 2 Cups of Unsweetened Almond Milk (or a combination of almond milk and orange juice)
- ½ Cup of Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 2 Cups of Fresh Blueberries
- Combine 2 ½ cups of old fashion oats,chia seeds, maca powder,baking powder, in a food processor. Pulse for approximately 1 minute until it resembles flour
- Add banana pulse one minute, add almond milk and apple sauce pulse again till combined fully.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and fold in the berries and additional 1 cup oats.
- Spray muffin pans with non-stick spray. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop muffins into tray.
- Sprinkle with oatmeal.
- Bake for around 35 minutes until the center is fully cooked. Keeps fresh in the freezer. Warm before serving!