Fall aka the perfect running weather but that also means Halloween. All the candy! As a kid my mom never allowed us to keep all the candy we received. Instead everyday for a week or so we would pick one candy to eat each day. Looking back this was such an awesome idea. It made having it so much more special and not to mention saved me from eating a lot more sugar then I normally would eat.
As I got older i obviously became more health conscious and aware of what I was eating. So I took an old classic Peanut Butter Buckeye Balls and amped them up a notch. I like to make these and store them in the freezer have one post workout as I prepare my meal. It has tons of protein and some healthy fats the perfect thing to satisfy me when I come back starving from a workout.
Really one of the most important meals/snacks you will have is after a workout. Your body is looking to recover and replenish so feeding it well is always important. These little candy bites are a perfect fall treat as you may be preparing for your next big race. Or just looking for something to hold you over between meals. Its important to use high quality chocolate when making this, I used my favorite chocolate Lily’s stevia sweetened chocolate. It taste like the real thing its vegan and sugar free! What more can you ask for?
- 1 cup of oats
- 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein (I used Vega Sport)
- 1 1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
- 3 tablespoons or 1/4 depending of water
- 1 cup lilys stevia chocolate
- 1-2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- In a food processor add oats and protein powder. Process until you have a fine flour consistency.
- Now add peanut butter and slowly add water until it is not crumbly and mixture is easy to roll.
- Using a small ice cream scooper or tablespoon roll mixture into balls and set aside(around 15 balls). Place in the freezer so when you dip the chocolate it sticks. Let freeze for at least 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile over a double broiler melt chocolate and coconut oil.
- Once chocolate is melted dip the balls into the chocolate just half way.
- Let chill in the freezer for at least an hour, then store in the freezer an air tight container. Serve chilled/frozen