Hi all! I have been slacking on gifting you all with recipes. So I went into my archives and pulled this one out. Ignore the iPhone bad quality photos- it doesn’t do this amazing granola justice! I gifted all my friends with it last holiday season. And so should you!
Quinoa in granola? I know your iffy about that, yes it works and yes it’s great! Quinoa is one of my favorite seeds it has tons of protein and so much more nutritional value than most other grains! This granola turned into a staple in my house especially during the fall/winter months, when squash is in season. I love packaging this up and giving out out to friends and family for the holidays. A great gift idea–Its always nice to give and receive something homemade.
- 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup quinoa (not cooked)
- 1 cup almonds chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup dates, soaked to covered (1/2 cup needed– save soaking liquid)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree/sweet potato puree
- 4 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce or coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a food processor, process dates with 1/2 cup of soaking liquid until smooth. Add remaining wet ingredients and process again.
- Take wet ingredients and mix with dry ingredients until it is evenly coated. Spread evenly on a lined baking tray with parchment paper.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees and stir it slightly, then bake for an additional 25 minutes at 300 degrees.
- Let cool and store in a cool, dry place (the freezer is best).