Truffles, and for that matter any portable snack/treat, have always been favorites of mine. When I first started dabbling in the kitchen way back when, raw truffles were one of the first recipes I created. I would generally keep it basic and create something like this. But I recently experimented with my original recipe and added in some “superfoods.” Organic Green powders can sometimes taste overwhelming. But when used appropriately, they add a ton of nutrients and can really taste great.
I recently received Natural Citizens Organic Greens; it’s a great staple to have. Because more often then not, when you want to whip up a smoothie, you don’t have fresh greens on hand. So this is the perfect solution. Just add a tablespoon or two and you have all the nutrients you would find in fresh greens. And it has no additives. Just straight up powered greens.Instead of making a simple smoothie I was wondering how the powder would taste in a rich dark chocolate truffle. Finding that balance would be tough but I knew that if it worked it would be a great way to add greens into a chocolate truffle where you normally wouldn’t find it. And obviously,since I’m sharing it here, it came out just perfect! Almond butter and cocoa play really well together in combination with a touch of Organic Greens. Covered in dark chocolate, you really can be tricked into believing it’s a traditional truffle.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Organic Greens
- 2 1/2 cup pitted dates (soaked in warm water to soften)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a food processor or blender add oats, cocoa powder and Organic Greens. Process until a flour-like consistency forms.
- Add dates, almond butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Process for a few minutes stopping the machine and scrapping the edges until a dough-like consistency forms.
- Roll into tablespoon size balls. Let freeze and (optional) cover in melted chocolate. Store in the freezer to preserve. Makes around 12 truffles.