Finally, berry season is upon us! I love all the fruits summer has to offer. Everything is sweeter, brighter and tastier. I think it is so important to eat foods when they are in season; they not only taste better but are easier on your wallet! When you eat seasonal fruits and vegetables there are an abundance of them, so they are more likely to be cheaper. Eating berries in the winter might coast you an arm and leg, but in the summer don’t sweat it. Plus I love eating whats in season because it has me experimenting with different fruits and vegetables I wouldn’t normally pick up.
Top 10 round up of spring fruits and vegetables to look out for
- Arugula- great raw tossed in a salad or an awesome topping for my quinoa curst pizza
- Asparagus- super cleansing vegetable I even throw some raw into my morning smoothies
- Artichokes- love these steamed and dipped in my Zucchini tahini dressing
- Beets- um hello super duper recovery food, amazing for blood flow after a hard work out they always go into my morning smoothie as well, or you can make a killer seasonal salad using arugula, beets, walnuts and a balsamic dressing
- Fennel- people describe them as a licorice taste I love them raw sliced thinly in a salad
- Strawberries- make sure to get strawberries organic they are like a sponge and soak up all the pesticides they are treated with. Thats why I recommend only buying them when they are in season
- Kiwis- always a treat to have kiwis living in New York you don’t see them all year round. Cut it in half grab a spoon and you have an awesome snack
- Navel oranges- these things are amazing! My mom brought them home last week literally taste like candy (well to me anyways)
- Peas- nothing like fresh peas you can make my Double your serving guacamole with it 🙂
- Radishes- slightly bitter but so crunchy! It adds tons of flavor to a boring salad one of my go to add ins when im feeling spunky
That being said, I picked up a ton of berries but didn’t get around to eating all of them. And since I love jelly pretty much with everything I decided to make my own Chia Mixed Berry Jam. I not only included a superfood but I used local and season fruits to create it. Chia seeds are amazing little seeds packed with omega 3 fatty acids, fiber and protein. Yes even more omega 3 fatty acids than found in salmon. Although I do love a good piece of salmon! Maybe now I can use this jelly in my BBQ sauce and marinate it on salmon. Double whammy!
Most homemade jelly recipes call for way too much sugar and frankly, I don’t think any added sugar is needed when using real fruit! I used Bai5 Brasilia Blueberry drink to flavor the jam instead of adding extra syrups and sweeteners. Plus it gave it that extra berry flavor!
- 2 cups of berries of choice- I used raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries (frozen works)
- 1/2 cup of Bai5 Brasilia Blueberry drink
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for around 20 minutes stirring frequently.
- I left mine with some fruit chunks because I like it like that you can blend it to make it completely smooth
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Stays fresh for around 2 weeks